You can transfer (copy or move) data that is saved on one PS3 system's hard disk to another PS3 system's hard disk using an Ethernet cable.
Before you start, please note:
Preparing the systems to transfer data
Before starting the data transfer operation, you must perform the following steps.
1. Update the system software of both PS3 systems to version 3.15 or above.
2. Prepare the PS3 system that will send the data (the "source system").
If multiple users exist on the source PS3 system, you must perform the following operations for all of the users before starting the data transfer operation.
On the XMB (XrossMediaBar) select PlayStation®Network > [Sign Up for PlayStation®Network].
Select PlayStation®Network > [Account Management] > [System Activation].
Sign in to PlayStation Network, and then select Game > [Trophy Collection].
Please note that the following restrictions apply if you perform the data transfer operation without creating a Sony Entertainment Network account:
Turn off both PS3 systems, and then perform the following steps. If the transferred data is saved game data that is copy-prohibited or data that is copyright-protected, it will be moved to the destination PS3 system and deleted from the source PS3 system.
1. Using an Ethernet cable, make a direct connection between the two PS3 systems.
You can use either an Ethernet straight-through cable or an Ethernet crossover cable.
2. Connect the PS3 systems to different video input connectors on the TV.
For example, use the HDMI input connector and the video input connector on the TV.
3. Turn on the TV, and then turn on the PS3 systems.
Use the TV remote control to switch the video input to display the screen of the source PS3 system.
4. On the source PS3 system, select Settings > [System Settings] > [Data Transfer Utility].
5. Select [1. Transfer data from this system to the other PS3™ system.].
If you did not complete the preparation steps described earlier, follow the on-screen instructions to complete these steps.
6. When the PS3 system is on standby to begin the data transfer, use the TV remote control to switch the video input to display the screen of the destination PS3 system.
7. On the destination PS3 system, select Settings > [System Settings] > [Data Transfer Utility].
8. Select [2. Transfer from the other PS3™ system to this system.]
Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the operation.
Limitations of the data transfer utility (as of 10 December 10 2009)
Some types of data cannot be transferred using the data transfer utility, and some types of data can be transferred but not played on the destination PS3 system.
For the latest information, visit the support site for the data transfer utility. The following types of data are not transferrable:
* Official PlayStation Magazine
For the following data types, you must perform some additional steps after completing the data transfer to be able to use the data:
Download and install the Life with PlayStation® application on the destination PS3 system. You can continue using your contribution points for the PlayStation Network ranking system of the Folding@home™ channel.
When you start the game for the first time after the data transfer operation, an error message will be displayed and you will not be able to play the game. To play the game, download and install the game again.
The saved game will not be recognised when you start the game for the first time after the data transfer operation. To use the saved data, quit the game, and then start the game again.
Tell us if someone is spoiling your online experience with PlayStation.
Video guides to help you get the most out of all your PS3's entertainment options.
Use this handy tool for more information on error codes and suggested solutions.